Although this documentary is over a decade old, the Super Size Me movie guide is still a powerful, thought provoking activity for to your students. Follow Morgan Spurlock as he eats only food from McDonald’s for 30 days. Challenge your students to analyze his experience and apply them to their lives.
While pausing at the designated times on the movie guide, discuss with your students the 11 high-level, short answer and essay questions.
Please see the product images for example questions. At the same time, why not download a free, complete movie guide for Kung Fu Panda 3 to see the general quality of the questions in these movie guides.
Students are encouraged to construct their own meaning throughout the film. Arguably, many answers will not fit into a ‘box’. In conclusion, an answer key is not included as many questions are open-ended.
Here are my tips for using the Super Size Me movie guide for students in your classroom:
- Print one, double-sided movie guide for each student
- Preview each question on the movie guide as you come to it before resuming the movie
- Pause at the times designated on the movie guide and help students if necessary
- Discussion here is great, encourage and allow students to share their ideas and thoughts for any question
- Discourage students from simply copying answers
- If needed, and if time allows, feel free to rewind and show important parts of the movie for additional analysis
- After completing the short answers on the movie guide, allow 5-10 minutes for each essay question at the end
- On average, completing this movie guide will require about 30-45 minutes in addition to the length of the movie