How Can The Great Gatsby Movie Teach Students?May 19, 2023
Welcome to another exciting exploration of educational cinema! Today, we’re diving into the roaring 20s with The Great Gatsby. This blog post will guide you through the film’s key educational concepts, its relevance for students, and how our K12MovieGuides can enhance the learning experience. So, how can The Great Gatsby movie teach students? Let’s find out!
The K12 Deets
The Great Gatsby is a 2013 cinematic adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s classic novel, bringing to life the opulence, drama, and tragedy of the Jazz Age.
- Running Time: 143 minutes
- Rating: PG-13
- IMDb The Great Gatsby
- IMDb Parents Guide
What is The Great Gatsby about?
The Great Gatsby is a tale of love, wealth, and tragedy set in the 1920s. It follows the story of Jay Gatsby, a man of immense wealth with a mysterious past, and his unrequited love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan.
Why show The Great Gatsby to your children/students?
The Great Gatsby is more than just a cinematic spectacle. It’s a rich tapestry of themes and lessons that can spark meaningful discussions among students. From understanding the socio-economic disparities of the Jazz Age to exploring the complexities of human emotions, this film offers a wealth of learning opportunities.
Educational Key Concepts
- Adapting to Change
- Creativity, Imagination, and Art
- Empathy & EQ
- Ethics and Moral Decision Making
- Historical Context
- (see more about each concept in the K12 Kibosh Scoring section)
Why use a Movie Guide?
Our K12MovieGuides for “The Great Gatsby” is an invaluable tool for teachers and parents. It helps navigate the film’s complex themes and historical context, providing thought-provoking questions and discussion points.
What are teachers saying about this movie guide?
As a full-time online teacher, this resource is very easy to administer and students completed the assignment well. ~Christopher John A. (Rated 5 out of 5)
The students enjoyed the movie and the viewing guide has great engaging questions. This was perfect for an extra day, and for the day right before a long break. ~Torri H. (Rated 5 out of 5)For more reviews and ratings like these go to TeachersPayTeachers where this movie guide is also available here.
The K12 Kibosh Score (90/100)
K12MovieGuides awards “The Great Gatsby” a commendable 90 out of 100! This score reflects the film’s blend of entertainment and educational value. The high K12 Kibosh Score is due to the movie’s ability to incorporate several key teaching concepts:
- Adapting to Change: The characters in the film navigate through significant societal and personal changes, showcasing resilience and adaptability.
- Creativity, Imagination, and Art: The film’s stunning visual design and narrative structure stimulate creativity and appreciation for artistic expression.
- Empathy & EQ: The complex emotional dynamics between characters foster understanding and empathy, promoting emotional intelligence.
- Ethics and Moral Decision Making: The characters’ choices and their consequences provide a basis for discussions on ethics and morality.
- Historical Context: The film provides a glimpse into the 1920s, encouraging students to understand and reflect on this historical period.