How to Use Romeo and Juliet Movie to Teach StudentsMay 19, 2023
Welcome to another exciting exploration of educational cinema! Today, we’re delving into the timeless tale of star-crossed lovers with Romeo and Juliet. This blog post will guide you through the film’s key educational concepts, its relevance for students, and how our K12MovieGuides can enhance the learning experience. How to Use Romeo and Juliet Movie to Teach Students? Let’s dive in!
The K12 Deets
Romeo and Juliet is a 2013 cinematic adaptation of William Shakespeare’s classic play, bringing to life the tragic love story set in the heart of Verona.
- Running Time: 118 minutes
- Rating: PG-13
- IMDb Romeo and Juliet
- IMDb Parents Guide
IMPORTANT VERSION NOTE: K12MovieGuides also has movie guides for following adaptations:
Romeo + Juliet Movie Guide (PG13 – 1996)
Romeo and Juliet Movie Guide (PG – 1968)
What is Romeo and Juliet about?
Romeo and Juliet is a tale of love, passion, and tragedy set in the city of Verona. It follows the story of Romeo and Juliet, two young lovers from feuding families, whose love story ends in a tragic climax.
Why show Romeo and Juliet to your children/students?
Romeo and Juliet is more than just a tragic love story. It’s a rich exploration of themes and lessons that can spark meaningful discussions among students. From understanding the consequences of unchecked rivalry to exploring the complexities of human emotions, this film offers a wealth of learning opportunities.
Educational Key Concepts
- Adapting to Change
- Bullying & Conflict Resolution
- Coming of Age
- Empathy & EQ
- Historical Context
- (see more about each concept in the K12 Kibosh Scoring section)
Why use a Movie Guide?
Our K12MovieGuides for Romeo and Juliet is an invaluable tool for teachers and parents. It helps navigate the film’s complex themes and historical context, providing thought-provoking questions and discussion points.
What are teachers saying about this movie guide?
This really helped the kids keep focused as we watched the movie and provided specific talking points for certain scenes. Worked great! Thank you. ~Michelle E. (Rated 5 out of 5)
This was a great guide while the students watched the movie. We had some very meaningful conversations with the questions that were given. ~Heather M. (Rated 5 out of 5)For more reviews and ratings like these go to TeachersPayTeachers where this movie guide is also available here.
The K12 Kibosh Score (85/100)
K12MovieGuides awards Romeo and Juliet a commendable 85 out of 100! This score reflects the film’s blend of entertainment and educational value. The high K12 Kibosh Score is due to the movie’s ability to incorporate several key teaching concepts:
- Adapting to Change: The characters in the film navigate through significant societal and personal changes, showcasing resilience and adaptability.
- Bullying & Conflict Resolution: The film portrays the destructive consequences of the feud between the Montagues and Capulets, providing a basis for discussions on conflict resolution.
- Coming of Age: Romeo and Juliet’s journey from innocent love to tragic end is a powerful coming-of-age narrative.
- Empathy & EQ: The complex emotional dynamics between characters foster understanding and empathy, promoting emotional intelligence.
- Historical Context: The film provides a glimpse into the societal norms and values of the Elizabethan era, encouraging students to understand and reflect on this historical period.