Welcome to another exciting exploration of educational cinema! Today, we’re diving into the world of Shakespeare with Romeo + Juliet. This blog post will guide you through the film’s key educational concepts, its relevance for students, and how our K12MovieGuides can enhance the learning experience. So, why should you be using Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo and Juliet in the classroom? Find out below!
The K12 Deets
Romeo + Juliet is a 1996 adaptation of Shakespeare’s classic tale, bringing to life the tragic love story in a contemporary setting.
IMPORTANT VERSION NOTE: K12MovieGuides also has movie guides for following adaptations:
What is Romeo + Juliet about?
Romeo + Juliet is a modern take on Shakespeare’s timeless love story. It follows the story of Romeo and Juliet, two young lovers from feuding families, whose love ultimately leads to tragic consequences.
Why show Romeo + Juliet to your children/students?
Romeo + Juliet is more than just a tragic love story. It’s a rich tapestry of themes and lessons that can spark meaningful discussions among students. From understanding the destructive power of hatred to exploring the complexities of human emotions, this film offers a wealth of learning opportunities.
Educational Key Concepts
- Bullying & Conflict Resolution
- Coming of Age
- Empathy & EQ
- Historical Context
- Adapting to Change
- (see more about each concept in the K12 Kibosh Scoring section)
Why use a Movie Guide?
Our K12MovieGuides for Romeo + Juliet is an invaluable tool for teachers and parents. It helps navigate the film’s complex themes and historical context, providing thought-provoking questions and discussion points.
What are teachers saying about this movie guide?
Great resource to use with the 1996 film. Kept my students engaged and goes beyond just basic recall comprehension and really gets them analyzing the film and choices made. ~Melody T. (Rated 5 out of 5)
This resource is excellent! It makes watching the movie version of a book we read in class engaging, relevant, and helps me meet the standards. This resource saved me a lot of time. Thank you! ~Liisaan M. (Rated 5 out of 5)For more reviews and ratings like these go to TeachersPayTeachers where this movie guide is also available here.
The K12 Kibosh Score (85/100)
K12MovieGuides awards Romeo + Juliet a commendable 85 out of 100! This score reflects the film’s blend of entertainment and educational value. The high K12 Kibosh Score is due to the movie’s ability to incorporate several key teaching concepts:
- Bullying & Conflict Resolution: The feud between the Montagues and Capulets provides a basis for discussions on conflict and its resolution.
- Coming of Age: The young characters’ journey through love and tragedy showcases the challenges and complexities of coming of age.
- Empathy & EQ: The emotional dynamics between characters foster understanding and empathy, promoting emotional intelligence.
- Historical Context: The film, though set in a modern context, is based on Shakespeare’s play, providing a historical context for students.
- Adapting to Change: The characters in the film navigate through significant societal and personal changes, showcasing resilience and adaptability.