How The Pursuit of Happyness Can Teach Your Students About ResilienceMay 20, 2023
Are you a parent or teacher looking for a film that can inspire your children or students? Look no further than The Pursuit of Happyness. This blog post will delve into the educational value of this movie, highlighting its key concepts and how it can be used as a teaching tool. So, let’s look at how The Pursuit of Happyness can teach your students about resilience, shall we?
The K12 Deets
The Pursuit of Happyness is a 2006 biographical drama film that has touched the hearts of millions worldwide. It’s a story of resilience, determination, and the power of the human spirit.
- Running Time: 117 minutes
- Rating: PG-13
- IMDb The Pursuit of Happyness
- IMDb Parents Guide
What is The Pursuit of Happyness about?
The Pursuit of Happyness is a compelling story based on the life of Chris Gardner, a struggling salesman who becomes homeless with his young son. Despite facing numerous challenges, Chris never gives up and continues to strive for a better life.
Why show The Pursuit of Happyness to your children/students?
The Pursuit of Happyness is a film that offers valuable life lessons and educational content. It’s a testament to the human spirit, demonstrating that with determination, resilience, and a positive attitude, one can overcome any obstacle. Here are the educational key concepts that the movie embodies:
- Adapting to Change: The film showcases Chris’s ability to adapt to various life changes, from losing his home to transitioning into a new career. It’s a powerful lesson on resilience and adaptability.
- Empathy & EQ: The movie encourages viewers to empathize with Chris’s situation, fostering emotional intelligence. It’s a lesson on understanding and sharing the feelings of others.
- Family Values: Despite his struggles, Chris remains a dedicated father to his son, emphasizing the importance of family values and the bonds of love and support within a family.
- Leadership Skills: Chris’s determination and positive attitude make him a role model, showcasing essential leadership skills such as perseverance, problem-solving, and the ability to inspire others.
- Persistence, Resilience & Grit: The core of the film revolves around Chris’s persistence and resilience. Despite the hardships, he never gives up, teaching viewers about the power of determination and grit.
Why use a Movie Guide?
Our K12MovieGuides The Pursuit of Happyness Movie Guide is an excellent tool to help navigate the educational opportunities presented in the film. It provides thought-provoking questions and discussion prompts, allowing learners to delve deeper into the movie’s themes and lessons.
What are teachers saying about this movie guide?
I used this as a guide for my students to write a reflection of this movie as we introducted our unit on business careers. ~Ann J. (Rated 5 out of 5)
Thank you for your resource. I was able to use this during my elective to discuss setbacks and overcoming problems. ~Yolanda N H (Rated 5 out of 5)For more reviews and ratings like these go to TeachersPayTeachers where this movie guide is also available here.
The K12 Kibosh Score (93/100)
K12MovieGuides awards The Pursuit of Happyness an impressive 93 out of 100! This score reflects the film’s unique blend of entertainment and educational merit, making it a perfect choice for both classroom and home-based learning. The film’s high K12 Kibosh Score is due to its ability to masterfully incorporate several essential teaching concepts.
The Pursuit of Happyness is a film that beautifully illustrates the concept of adapting to change. Chris Gardner, the protagonist, faces numerous challenges and changes in his life, from losing his home to struggling to provide for his son. Despite these hardships, he remains resilient and adapts to his new circumstances, demonstrating the importance of flexibility and resilience in the face of life’s uncertainties.
Furthermore, the film provides a powerful exploration of empathy and emotional intelligence. As viewers, we are drawn into Chris’s struggles and triumphs, feeling his despair and joy alongside him. This emotional journey fosters empathy and understanding, encouraging viewers to consider the experiences and feelings of others.
Lastly, the film’s portrayal of persistence, resilience, and grit is truly inspiring. Despite numerous setbacks, Chris never gives up on his dreams. His determination and resilience serve as a powerful lesson for young viewers about the importance of perseverance in the face of adversity. This aspect of the film significantly contributes to its high K12 Kibosh Score, making The Pursuit of Happyness an excellent movie choice for young minds that combines entertainment and education seamlessly.