Donald in Mathmagic Land Movie Guide | Worksheet | Questions | Google Formats (1959)
Donald in Mathmagic Land Movie Guide | Worksheet | Questions | Google Formats (1959) challenges students to think about math through the lens of life during this classic Disney technicolor film. The entire short film (27min) can viewed here on YouTube. Ask students to identify and draw the golden triangle, rectangle, spiral and other geometric shapes on every day objects. Discuss a math pun involving square roots, Pythagoras, and whether or not students have any ‘brain clutter’. Explore what doors have been opened since 1959 using mathematics and finally students compete in a Pentagon challenge of precision.
Check the preview file for high resolution sample questions to see if this movie guide is suitable for your students. This resource consists of 8 high-level, short answer reflection and essay questions that will do more than just ask your students to regurgitate information.
This product .zip file includes:
- A student movie guide, PDF print version (3 pages)
- An answer key (3 pages) IS included with this movie guide, however many answers will vary as students are encouraged to construct their own meaning from the characters’ dialogue and behavior.
- A generic movie guide permission slip (1 page)
- A Google Slides version of the movie guide
- Note: This lesson requires students do a fair bit of drawing so besides the print version, the only other format is Google Slides
Here are my tips for using Donald in Mathmagic Land Movie Guide | Worksheet | Questions | Google Formats (1959) in your classroom:
- Print one, double-sided movie guide for each student
- Preview each question on the movie guide as you come to it before resuming the movie
- Pause at the times designated on the movie guide and help students if necessary
- Discussion here is great, encourage and allow students to share their ideas and thoughts for any question
- Discourage students from simply copying answers
- If needed, and if time allows, feel free to rewind and show important parts of the movie for additional analysis
- After completing the short answers on the movie guide, allow 5-10 minutes for each essay question at the end
- On average, completing this movie guide will require about 30-45 minutes in addition to the length of the movie
Donald in Mathmagic Land Movie Guide | Worksheet | Questions | Google Formats (1959) resource is also available on TeachersPayTeachers
100% Free Movie Guides: Try before you buy!
Get a feel for these movie guides and see if this resource is right for you. I ask questions that require students to ‘live’ on the higher levels of Bloom’s taxonomy.
- Trolls World Tour Movie Guide
- Onward Movie Guide
- Home Alone 2 Movie Guide
- Kung Fu Panda 3 Movie Guide
- Percy Jackson – Lightning Thief Movie Guide
K12 Movie Guides are on these other platforms as well:
- Pinterest – TeacherTravis
- Facebook Page – K12MovieGuides
- Instagram – TeacherTravis
- Twitter – @k12movieguides
Digital PDF Version Tips
- It is intended for a paperless, 1:1 tablet/iPad classroom
- Ask students to download a PDF editor app if they don’t already have one. It needs to have a save function as well. I used Foxit PDF.
- Host the file. I used google drive to share a folder with students.
- When complete, ask students to save the file in a designated google drive folder using a naming convention. (I use LastnameFirstnameMovieGuide.pdf)