In the Heights (Musical) Movie Guide | Worksheet | Questions | Google (PG13 – 2021)
In the Heights (Musical) Movie Guide | Worksheet | Questions | Google (PG13 – 2021) challenges students to analyze characters, their dreams and how they change and grow throughout the film. Explore the tension and clashes that Nina has with her father and his plan for her future. Ask students to share what they consider ‘the best days of their lives’ and what they would do with a $96,000 lottery ticket. Interpret lyrics, identify metaphors and determine the significance of Usnavi’s repetition. Use a map of the Caribbean to place characters and create a Spanish glossary for frequently used terms.
Check the preview file for high resolution sample questions to see if this movie guide is suitable for your students. This resource consists of 15 high-level, short answer reflection and essay questions that will do more than just ask your students to regurgitate information.
This product .zip file includes:
- A student movie guide, PDF print version (5 pages)
- An answer key (5 pages) is included, however, some answers will vary as students are encouraged to construct their own meaning throughout the film and many questions are open-ended.
- A Google Slides Version of the Movie Guide (A PDF with a link to make a copy of the guide to your Google Drive)
- A generic movie guide permission slip (1 page)
- CCSS alignment indicating standards met, PDF (1 page – see also preview image)
- CCSS Note: I’ve taken the liberty of aligning certain reading standards with the act of consuming content via the movie instead. Although students aren’t reading they are asked to perform the same cognitive functions on the content that they consumed from the movie.
Google Classroom Distance Learning Tips:
- Create an assignment using the Google Slide
- Use the screen sharing tool on your conference calling software to play the movie
- Pause the movie at each question to give students time to write/discuss
- Make sure students input their name, so when you open your copy of the form, you can see each student’s individual response they submitted
- Note: If you are using the movie guide for multiple classes and want to separate responses by class, create multiple copies of the google form with file names such as [Title]MovieGuideClassPeriod and then create assignments for each copy of the Google Form movie guide
Here are my tips for using In the Heights (Musical) Movie Guide | Worksheet | Questions | Google (PG13 – 2021) in your classroom:
- Print one, double-sided movie guide for each student
- Preview each question on the movie guide as you come to it before resuming the movie
- Pause at the times designated on the movie guide and help students if necessary
- Discussion here is great, encourage and allow students to share their ideas and thoughts for any question
- Discourage students from simply copying answers
- If needed, and if time allows, feel free to rewind and show important parts of the movie for additional analysis
- After completing the short answers on the movie guide, allow 5-10 minutes for each essay question at the end
- On average, completing this movie guide will require about 30-45 minutes in addition to the length of the movie
In the Heights (Musical) Movie Guide | Worksheet | Questions | Google (PG13 – 2021) resource is also available on TeachersPayTeachers
100% Free Movie Guides: Try before you buy!
Get a feel for these movie guides and see if this resource is right for you. I ask questions that require students to ‘live’ on the higher levels of Bloom’s taxonomy.
- Trolls World Tour Movie Guide
- Onward Movie Guide
- Home Alone 2 Movie Guide
- Kung Fu Panda 3 Movie Guide
- Percy Jackson – Lightning Thief Movie Guide