The Men Who Built America – Ep 3 & 4 Movie Guide | Worksheet (TV – 2012) is a great resource if you are going to show this video in class.
This product .zip file includes:
- A student movie guide, PDF digital fillable form version (4 pages)
- A student movie guide, PDF print version (4 pages)
- An answer key (4 pages) is included, however, some answers will vary as students are encouraged to construct their own meaning throughout the film and many questions are open-ended.
The digital version is for a paperless classroom if your students each have a tablet/iPad. Here is a method that worked for me:
1. Ask students to download a PDF editor app if they don’t already have one. It needs to have a save function as well. I used Foxit PDF.
2. Host the file. I used google drive to share a folder with the students.
3. After students have completed the movie guide, ask them to save it in a designated google drive folder using a naming convention. (I use LastnameFirstnameMovieGuide.pdf)
Please see the product images for example questions from this movie guide and download a free, complete movie guide for Kung Fu Panda 3 or Percy Jackson – Lightning Thief to see the general quality of my questions and movie guides.
Here are my tips for using The Men Who Built America – Ep 3 & 4 Movie Guide | Worksheet (TV – 2012) with students in your classroom:
- Print one, double-sided movie guide for each student
- Preview each question on the movie guide as you come to it before resuming the movie
- Pause at the times designated on the movie guide and help students if necessary
- Discussion here is great, encourage and allow students to share their ideas and thoughts for any question
- Discourage students from simply copying answers
- If needed, and if time allows, feel free to rewind and show important parts of the movie for additional analysis
- After completing the short answers on the movie guide, allow 5-10 minutes for each essay question at the end
- On average, completing this movie guide will require about 30-45 minutes in addition to the length of the movie