The Men Who Built America – Ep 5 & 6 Movie Guide | Worksheet (TV – 2012)
The Men Who Built America – Ep 5 & 6 Movie Guide | Worksheet (TV – 2012) is a great resource if you are going to show this video in class. Challenge your students to analyze and evaluate the struggle between two sets of investors and inventors as they fought to gain control of the electricity industry. Encourage students to explore the relationship between J.P. Morgan and his father, and the rivalry between Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla. This resource consists of 11 high-level, short answer and essay questions that will do more than just ask your students to regurgitate information. Please see the preview file for sample questions from this resource.
This movie guide is intended for:
Episode 5 – A New Rival Emerges (watch it on Amazon here)
Episode 6 – Owning It All (watch it on Amazon here)
This can be used for Changing the Game, the third episode of the TV version as well, which combined the fifth and sixth episodes into one. If you are using this version of the video, use the second time stamp for questions 6 – 10.
Check out my free movie guides:
Download these to get a feel for my work and see if this resource is right for you. I ask questions that require students to ‘live’ on the higher levels of Bloom’s taxonomy.
K12 Movie Guides are on these other platforms as well:
The Men Who Built America – Ep 5 & 6 Movie Guide | Worksheet (TV – 2012) is a great resource if you are going to show this video in class. Challenge your students to analyze and evaluate the struggle between two sets of investors and inventors as they fought to gain control of the electricity industry.
This product .zip file includes:
- A student movie guide, PDF digital fillable form version (4 pages)
- A student movie guide, PDF print version (4 pages)
- An answer key (4 pages) is included, however, some answers will vary as students are encouraged to construct their own meaning throughout the film and many questions are open-ended.
The digital version is for a paperless classroom if your students each have a tablet/iPad. Here is a method that worked for me:
1. Ask students to download a PDF editor app if they don’t already have one. It needs to have a save function as well. I used Foxit PDF.
2. Host the file. I used google drive to share a folder with the students.
3. After students have completed the movie guide, ask them to save it in a designated google drive folder using a naming convention. (I use LastnameFirstnameMovieGuide.pdf)
Here are my tips for using The Men Who Built America – Ep 5 & 6 Movie Guide | Worksheet (TV – 2012) with students in your classroom:
- Print one, double-sided movie guide for each student
- Preview each question on the movie guide as you come to it before resuming the movie
- Pause at the times designated on the movie guide and help students if necessary
- Discussion here is great, encourage and allow students to share their ideas and thoughts for any question
- Discourage students from simply copying answers
- If needed, and if time allows, feel free to rewind and show important parts of the movie for additional analysis
- After completing the short answers on the movie guide, allow 5-10 minutes for each essay question at the end
- On average, completing this movie guide will require about 30-45 minutes in addition to the length of the movie