This Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief movie guide is a great way to introduce or peak your students’ interest in Greek mythology. Use this movie guide to help keep your students engaged and create valuable and deep discussion. Discuss with your students the 11 high-level, short answer and essay questions by pausing at the designated times on the movie guide. Includes a “Family Tree of the Gods” page where students can place 8 characters from the film in the tree by carefully paying attention throughout the movie.
This product includes:
A student movie guide, PDF print version (5 pages)
A student movie guide, PDF digital fillable form version (5 pages)
The digital version is for a paperless classroom if your students each have a tablet/iPad. Here is a method that worked for me:
1. Ask students to download a PDF editor app if they don’t already have one. It needs to have a save function as well. I used Foxit PDF.
2. Host the file. I used google drive to share a folder with the students.
3. After students have completed the movie guide, ask them to save it in a designated google drive folder using a naming convention. (I use LastnameFirstnameMovieGuide.pdf)
Please see the product images for example questions from this movie guide and download a free, complete movie guide for Kung Fu Panda 3 or Percy Jackson – Lightning Thief to see the general quality of my questions and movie guides.
Students are encouraged to construct their own meaning throughout the film. Arguably, many answers will not fit into a ‘box’. In conclusion, an answer key is not included as many questions are open-ended.
Here are my tips for using the Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief movie guide for students in your classroom:
- Print one, double-sided movie guide for each student
- Preview each question on the movie guide as you come to it before resuming the movie
- Pause at the times designated on the movie guide and help students if necessary
- Discussion here is great, encourage and allow students to share their ideas and thoughts for any question
- Discourage students from simply copying answers
- If needed, and if time allows, feel free to rewind and show important parts of the movie for additional analysis
- After completing the short answers on the movie guide, allow 5-10 minutes for each essay question at the end
- On average, completing this movie guide will require about 30-45 minutes in addition to the length of the movie