Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry Movie Guide | Questions | Worksheet (TV – 1978) challenges students to thinking critically about this powerful story of an African American family struggling to keep their rural Mississippi land in 1933.
Note: The time stamps on this movie guide match up with the youtube version which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2ZbrNMQtfo
However, this is not my video and this link may or may not be available in the future. If you have a different version of the film, the time stamps may be off by a few seconds, in this case, I’ve also included a short description of where to stop the film for each question.
This product .zip file includes:
- A student movie guide, PDF digital fillable form version (4 pages)
- A student movie guide, PDF print version (4 pages)
- An answer key (4 pages) is included, however, some answers will vary as students are encouraged to construct their own meaning throughout the film and many questions are open-ended.
- A generic movie guide permission slip (1 page)
The digital version is for a paperless classroom if your students each have a tablet/iPad. Here is a method that worked for me:
1. Ask students to download a PDF editor app if they don’t already have one. It needs to have a save function as well. I used Foxit PDF.
2. Host the file. I used google drive to share a folder with the students.
3. After students have completed the movie guide, ask them to save it in a designated google drive folder using a naming convention. (I use LastnameFirstnameMovieGuide.pdf)
Here are my tips for using the Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry Movie Guide | Questions | Worksheet (TV – 1978) with students in your classroom:
- Print one, double-sided movie guide for each student
- Preview each question on the movie guide as you come to it before resuming the movie
- Pause at the times designated on the movie guide and help students if necessary
- Discussion here is great, encourage and allow students to share their ideas and thoughts for any question
- Discourage students from simply copying answers
- If needed, and if time allows, feel free to rewind and show important parts of the movie for additional analysis
- After completing the short answers on the movie guide, allow 5-10 minutes for each essay question at the end
- On average, completing this movie guide will require about 30-45 minutes in addition to the length of the movie