The Men Who Built America – Movie Guide Bundle (TV – 2012) is a great resource if you are going to show this documentary series in class. These 4 movie guides each consists of 11 high-level, short answer and essay questions that will do more than just ask your students to regurgitate information.
This movie guide is intended for:
Episodes 1 – 8 (watch them on Amazon here)
These movie guides can also be used for the TV version of the documentary that combined two episodes into one, for a total of four episodes. If you are using this version of the documentary, use the second time stamp for the second half of each movie guide.
This product includes four individual movie guides that each consist of:
A student movie guide, PDF print version (4 pages)
A student movie guide, PDF digital fillable form version (4 pages)
An answer key (4 pages) IS included with this movie guide, however many answers will vary as students are encouraged to construct their own meaning from the characters’ dialogue and behavior.
To see more details for each individual movie guide, please check out the links below (Note: These link to the TpT listing of the movie guides):
The Men Who Built America – Ep 1 & 2 Movie Guide
The Men Who Built America – Ep 3 & 4 Movie Guide
The Men Who Built America – Ep 5 & 6 Movie Guide
The Men Who Built America – Ep 7 & 8 Movie Guide
Here are my tips for using The Men Who Built America – Movie Guide Bundle (TV – 2012) with students in your classroom:
- Print one, double-sided movie guide for each student
- Preview each question on the movie guide as you come to it before resuming the movie
- Pause at the times designated on the movie guide and help students if necessary
- Discussion here is great, encourage and allow students to share their ideas and thoughts for any question
- Discourage students from simply copying answers
- If needed, and if time allows, feel free to rewind and show important parts of the movie for additional analysis
- After completing the short answers on the movie guide, allow 5-10 minutes for each essay question at the end
- On average, completing this movie guide will require about 30-45 minutes in addition to the length of the movie