The Patriot Movie Guide | Revolutionary War | (R – 2000)
The Patriot Movie Guide | Revolutionary War | (R – 2000) challenges students to engage with the revolutionary war through this action-pack and emotional film. Explore foreshadowing, compare character traits, strategies and war tactics. Think like a director and discuss how concepts are communicated with the viewer. Delineate arguments between characters and share opinions on which one students agree with more. Take a stance on whether or not Benjamin and Tavington represent two sides of the same coin in a persuasive essay. Finally, research and compare historical figures to the characters depicted in the movie.
Note: An optional extended research activity challenges students to explore three historical battles that may be the inspiration for Benjamin Martin’s infamous ‘Fort Wilderness’ experience.
This resource is meant to supplement the viewing of The Patriot, see the IMDb listing here.
Check the thumbnails for high resolution sample questions to see if this movie guide is suitable for your students. This resource consists of 14 high-level, short answer reflection and essay questions that will do more than just ask your students to regurgitate information.
This product .zip file includes:
- A student movie guide, PDF print version (6 pages)
- An answer key (6 pages) is included, however, some answers will vary as students are encouraged to construct their own meaning throughout the film and many questions are open-ended.
- A Google Slides Version of the Movie Guide (A PDF with a link to make a copy of the guide to your Google Drive)
- CCSS alignment indicating standards met, PDF (1 page – see also preview image)
- CCSS Note: I’ve taken the liberty of aligning certain reading standards with the act of consuming content via the movie instead. Although students aren’t reading they are asked to perform the same cognitive functions on the content that they consumed from the movie.
- Need a generic movie guide permission slip? Download it free here.
Here are my tips for using The Patriot Movie Guide | Revolutionary War | (R – 2000) in your classroom:
- Print one, double-sided movie guide for each student
- Preview each question on the movie guide as you come to it before resuming the movie
- Pause at the times designated on the movie guide and help students if necessary
- Discussion here is great, encourage and allow students to share their ideas and thoughts for any question
- Discourage students from simply copying answers
- If needed, and if time allows, feel free to rewind and show important parts of the movie for additional analysis
- After completing the short answers on the movie guide, allow 5-10 minutes for each essay question at the end
- On average, completing this movie guide will require about 30-45 minutes in addition to the length of the movie
Google Classroom | Google Slide | Tips:
- Click on the link included in the PDF titled “Google Slides Version” and save a copy of the file to your Google Drive/Classroom
- Create an assignment for your students
- If you are using this resource for multiple classes and want to separate responses by class, create multiple copies of the Google Slides version with file names such as [Title]ClassPeriod and then create assignments
The Patriot Movie Guide | Revolutionary War | (R – 2000) resource is also available on TeachersPayTeachers
Free Downloads Below:
Get a feel for these movie guides and see if this resource is right for you. I ask questions that require students to ‘live’ on the higher levels of Bloom’s taxonomy.
- Trolls World Tour Movie Guide
- Onward Movie Guide
- Home Alone 2 Movie Guide
- Kung Fu Panda 3 Movie Guide
- Percy Jackson – Lightning Thief Movie Guide
K12 Movie Guides are on these other platforms as well:
- Pinterest – TeacherTravis
- Facebook Page – K12MovieGuides
- Instagram – TeacherTravis
- Twitter – @k12movieguides
Film Guide | Film Literature | Film Class | Movie Literature | Movie Class | Film as Lit | FilmLit | Film as Literature | Movies as Lit | Movie Worksheets | Movie Questions | Film Questions | Film Worksheets | Movie analysis worksheet | Film study guides | Movie discussion questions | Film review worksheets | Movie comprehension questions | Film analysis activities | Movie critique worksheets