This Which Way Home Documentary Movie Guide | Questions | Worksheet (2009) help students learn from this eye-opening documentary. The documentary follows a group of teenagers in their quest to cross the border into the United States. It is a fantastic learning experience for a Spanish, Social Studies, or Government class.
This product .zip file includes:
- A student movie guide, PDF digital fillable form version (4 pages)
- A student movie guide, PDF print version (4 pages)
- An answer key is *not* included as students are encouraged to construct their own meaning throughout the film. Arguably, many answers will not fit into a ‘box’.
The digital version is for a paperless classroom if your students each have a tablet/iPad. Here is a method that worked for me:
- Ask students to download a PDF editor app if they don’t already have one. It needs to have a save function as well. I used Foxit PDF.
- Host the file. I used google drive to share a folder with the students.
- After students have completed the movie guide, ask them to save it in a designated google drive folder using a naming convention. (I use LastnameFirstnameMovieGuide.pdf) rankhaya.com
Here are my tips for using the Which Way Home Documentary Movie Guide | Questions | Worksheet (2009) with students in your classroom:
- Print one, double-sided movie guide for each student
- Preview each question on the movie guide as you come to it before resuming the movie
- Pause at the times designated on the movie guide and help students if necessary
- Discussion here is great, encourage and allow students to share their ideas and thoughts for any question
- Discourage students from simply copying answers
- If needed, and if time allows, feel free to rewind and show important parts of the movie for additional analysis
- After completing the short answers on the movie guide, allow 5-10 minutes for each essay question at the end
- On average, completing this movie guide will require about 30-45 minutes in addition to the length of the movie